Not A Thankfulness Blog
TODAY’S BREW: Eggnog. Yeah, I drink eggnog.
I don’t read most of those thankfulness posts. I’ll put that right out there. I love Thanksgiving for a lot of reasons, but I am a huge proponent of being thankful every damn day.
Did you know that if you write down one thing you’re thankful for every night before you go to sleep you not only sleep better, but you live longer? I KNOW, RIGHT?
And I think it’s never too early to start asking your kids what they’re thankful for. I do this every night with Bennett, and it’s one of our favorite things to do. Sam, the three year old, is a little more apt to be thankful for say, “I want cheese crackers!” but I like to have the language kicking around, you know?
But I’m not here to be preachy. I AM HERE TO LIST SEVERAL THINGS THAT PLEASE ME ABOUT TURKEY DAY.
- TURKEY. So much of it. All the dark meat. I will hiss at anyone who comes near the dark meat.
- THE MACY’S THANKSGIVING DAY PARADE. If you didn’t watch this growing up, you are not ‘Murican.
- MIMOSAS. They start at dawn and finish around BLAHAHAHA REMEMBER THAT TIME MR. BELVEDERE FELL DOWN THE STAIRS OH MY GOD WHAT DAY IS THIS?!
- PAJAMAS. Never gonna stop.
- KIDS AND HUSBAND IN PAJAMAS. Because it is best enjoyed together.
- THERE IS NOWHERE ELSE YOU COULD POSSIBLY HAVE TO BE, I.E. WORK ON THIS DAY OF ALL DAYS.
- TURKEY SANDWICHES.
- WATCHING YOUR EXTENDED FAMILY MAKE A MESS. NOT AT YOUR HOUSE. Whatever, if you say, “but Julie, your house is already a mess.” You don’t know me!
- LITTLE KID THANKSGIVING PILGRIM AND INDIAN OUTFITS AND HAND TURKEYS. You’re not human if you don’t love that shit.
I look greatly forward, also to another Hutchings Family Event. There are a couple this year, but the one I look forward to most is at Tim’s Uncle Mike’s house. Things that you may see at one of these events include:
- A SPONGE HOLDER CERAMIC FROG SMOKING A CIGAR.
- BLOOD ON THE SUGAR CONTAINER. None of us knows why.
- SAID UNCLE IN A THREE PIECE SUIT WITH A POCKET WATCH.
- MORE BEER THAN FOOD, BUT PROBABLY NOT.
- THE POSSIBLE ABANDONMENT OF ANY HUSBAND BY THEIR WIVES IN THE WEE HOURS. This happens. I have not done it, but we’ve only been married 12 years.
There will also be incredible smells, and great amounts of laughs and kids playing, and hugging and it makes me the happiest ever.
Tell me, folks, tell me not what you are thankful for, but tell me what you’re looking forward to this Thanksgiving. I look forward to my husband having a forced day off. Now, you. GO, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.